Monday, April 23, 2012
Though there are many downsides to unpaid internships, it looks like one upside is that they may prove to be solid movie fodder as two intern-focused comedies are going into production in the next year. I will definitely be seeing these.
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
- I hate to put this as a take-away, given that I just mentioned this, but I was amazed at how talented, passionate, and engaged the Higher Education students at HGSE truly are.
- Students, take note: alumni networking events are not about food, but rather networking.
- Practice what you preach. I wanted to catch up with old friends and head straight to the buffet table, but instead I dedicated much of my time to speaking to those attendees in my field. In fact, I had a really great discussion with a fellow career services professional who I really admire. I’m looking forward to taking her up on her offer to grab a cup of coffee sometime this summer.
- Everyone should/is always thinking about moving their career forward. Case in point, I chose networking over food (I know, crazy!) Additionally, several of my colleagues were debating, speaking about next steps, and even more education. Two years ago I remember being at this event
prayinghoping that I’d have a job soon enough and be able to attend these types of event without consideration for my future. This year, the pressure may have been off, but I’m placing an ever increased value on the networking opportunities these types of events allow for.
- Someone reads my blog! Hi Samantha!